Thursday, July 29, 2010

Ganges River Bath

*posted by Arny




“You are the greatest book that ever was or ever will be, the infinite depository of all that is. Until the inner teacher opens, all outside teaching is in vain… We are the living books, and books are but the words we have spoken… Read man, he is the living poem.” – Swami Vivekananda, Meditation and Its Methods

Needless to say, the preceding quote is pretty baller. And its fitting, for Swami Vivekananda is perhaps one of the biggest ballers of all time. For those who don’t know, Vivekananda was a great Indian spiritual leader who followed after the OTHER great Indian spiritual leader, Ramakrishna. Today's events were permeated by the wisdom and influence of these two enlightened humans.

Our day started early, with a visit to the Dakshineswar Temple, the very spot in which Ramakrishna based his spiritual teachings, built right on the bank of the Ganges. The clay tiles and mason walls breathed history, and some of the tiles even had dog paw prints cast in them, leading me to believe some stray dogs must have been strolling on the wet clay when it was laid down, however long ago that was (Kolkata has no shortage of stray dogs). Pilgrims played music and chanted mantras while walking in small groups here and there. The main temple visit ended with Ramakrishna's bedroom, which is now a part of the temple complex itself, yet another destination for eager pilgrims from all over India.

Finally, we took a dip in the Ganges.

"With meditation comes compassion and love. And the nearest object of your love and compassion has to be your own body. Keep your body healthy and vibrant, as this is the first and foremost meditation." - Rinzai, Zen Master

The Ganges River, known in India as "Ma Ganga" (Mother Ganga) is one of the most revered symbols of Indian and Hindu culture. I have only been in its cleansing waters one other time in my life, which was 7 years ago; my family had gone to it to spread my mom's and my uncle's ashes in the river. So it was already an extremely substantial place for me. But this time, dipping in the perfectly warm and inviting water, the sun crying down on our heads, I knew the experience was one of renewal, rejuvenation. Cleansing of body became a cleansing of mind. I stood in the waters meditatively and wished (and still do) that I could come for an extremely long morning bath and meditation in Ma Ganga every single day.

It was then that I pretty much decided outright that I WILL live in Kolkata for at least some portion of my life.

We then went to Belur Meth, the headquarters of the Ramakrishna Mission, a spiritual movement based upon the teachings of Ramakrishna. (Cameras are not allowed in Dakshineswar, nor Belur Meth, so we unfortunately can't give you any photos. Use your imagination.) This place is one of the most calming spaces I have ever experienced. Unlike much of the rest of Kolkata, it was absolutely devoid of chaos, dirt, and grime. It was clean, pristine, pure, quiet, green, white, blue, orange renunciation, everything I would ever want of a place of worship, The vibe was self-centering, exhaling unto my lungs warm and sweet stability. Individual monks sat in front of shrines in various buildings, chanting Sanskrit mantras in low hums while performing complex and ancient rituals. This was definitely my favorite holy site so far, as far as the vibes and serenity it offered me. Better yet, its also built upon the Ganges.

"Machines never made mankind happy, and never will make. He who is trying to make us believe this will claim that happiness is in the machine; but it is always in the mind. That man alone who is the lord of his own mind can become happy, and none else." - Swami Vivekananda, My Master

Everything I need.

- Arnesh Vijayesh Roy; Dilip Kumar Roy; Bharadwaj Gotra

No comments:

Post a Comment