Friday, July 30, 2010

The Engagement


That’s right… Abhrajeet proposed in India in the most beautiful place we’ve seen so far. (I realize we are only 6 days in, but transitioning from Kolkata, where they city is crowded and dirty to Puri where it’s peaceful and lush a drastic contrast.)

Each day has been an adventure filled with many challenges but when we arrived in Puri all our troubles washed away as we began to enjoy the beautiful hotel, Indian ocean and time together. The day began by getting off the train around 9 in the morning and taking a nap. Abhrajeet’s uncle, Boss Mamu, unexpectedly accompanied us on the trip and it was wonderful to have him there to handle all the business. They don’t call him Boss for nothing.  One of our hotel rooms wasn’t ready so Boss pulled a few strings and Abhrajeet and I got the best room in the entire hotel. It had two terraces that overlooked the crashing ocean and was so extravagant.  At this point I kept joking that we got the honeymoon suite.

Around four o’clock the boys put on their kurthas and pajama pants while Thampu taught me how to put my sari on and we went into town. We all had an amazing day – I went around the city with Boss while the Boys and Thampu went to Jugganath (I wasn’t allowed in because I’m not of Indian decent)

We arrived back at the hotel around 7 to freshen up before going out for dinner. Abhrajeet said we should go out to the terrace and just sit for awhile however I was trying to re-tie my sari, change out of my contacts, put some clothes away, grabbing my camera and just about any task you can image that delayed the process of me going outside.

When I first went out on the terrace I had my camera and took this quick shot of Abhrajeet looking out. I realize this photo is the worst photo ever but you can get the idea of what the night looked like when Abhrajeet proposed. 

 

He told me to put the camera away and I joined him outside. I was looking out over at some people setting up for some event and Abhrajeet said he needed to go get something inside. I didn’t think anything of it and only hoped he would bring out the Kit-Kat bar in our fridge.

When he came back out he put his arms around me and said ‘Seven years ago it all started.’ Then stopped for awhile because he was choking up. This is when I started thinking ‘No way! Is this really happening?’

Then he talked about how I’ve stayed with him through it all of it, and all his family stuff.

Then I for sure knew what was coming. We looked out into the ocean and I said ‘this is perfect.’

He replied with: ‘Well, if it’s perfect then this is the right time to do this.’ He got down on one knee and said, So Katie, will you marry me. ‘

My reply was instant, ‘Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes’

Followed by a lot of giggling, crying, hugging, kissing.

I finally put on the ring (which is an absolutely perfect fit) and giggled some more.

We then joined Arny and Boss for a celebratory dinner. 

The morning after in the proposal spot

Stay tuned for the engagement prequel post.

8 comments:

  1. this is awesome!

    i'm tearing up and i'm at work!

    oooo i like this soooooooooo much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Story!!

    Congrat's ya'lll!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lys read the email while we were on the phone and we both were super excited!!!!!!!!!!!! And what a perfect spot to get proposed in. I was wondering if that would happen! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my!!!!! I am SO excited for you guys!! The story gave me goose bumps! How romantic and perfect!! I can't wait to give you the biggest hug!!! What a beautiful memory! Love you Kayd!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Caroline InnerbichlerAugust 3, 2010 at 9:15 PM

    Yeah. I'm crying.

    Sending my love and congratulations:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. sooooooooooooo excited this is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete