Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Somerville

*posted by Kayd

 
Mithu Auntie is a kindergarten teacher at a school which is a few miles away from her home in Noida. The school has received many awards for theater, dance and singing. Obviously this school was right up our alley!

I was amazed by all the students! Not only do the kids speak Hindi, but they are also learning English in school (interesting to note that English is the national language of India). In addition, many of the kids speak a third regional language which is used only at home, depending on where their family originates from in India.

During my visit I also watched the kids practice writing in cursive and heard them all count down like rocket ships! They even sang a few songs for me (including Do Your Ears Hang Low) and one little talkative girl explained what one of the kids’ Hindi song meant in English (so cute!). I taught the kindergarteners how to disco dance and how to play Simon Says. They are just beginning to learn body parts so it ended up being more like follow the leader.


Then we visited some music classes (it reminded me of School of Rock). We were AMAZED by the talent and were thrilled when the students began singing songs by The Beatles and Queen. Students can choose either to sing or play an instrument. Not only are they devoted to their studies but they are also passionate about their music. With all these talents in one room it was like being at a live concert! It was GREAT to say the very least. 


The dance classroom was next. The girls showed us the routine they were learning and I taught them a simple routine in Step. I was so excited to be dancing again!


If I were to rank all of my experiences so far on the trip, traveling to the school was easily one of the best. I loved the students! 


No comments:

Post a Comment