Tuesday, August 3, 2010

McChicken

*Posted by Kayd

Yep, I went to a McDonalds in India. (Shameful I know - and Lys, I thought of you the entire time)

You can spot the gigantic yellow arches for miles on the streets that are lined with vendors doing business out of their small wagons.

Tiya and Emma took me to McDonalds when we went to the mall food court because they were both craving a McChicken. (other places in the food court included Subway, Dominos, Mad about Doughnuts some chinese places and other Indian food places). Right before we left Abhrajeet, Arny and I watched Food Inc so I was less than thrilled to be eating some fast food knowing how it is grown and prepared in the States but I had my McChicken (tasty, but too much mayo) and Fries (who doesn't love fries) enjoying what would be a good and embarrassing story to tell. I opted out of the ketchup - it's much thinner and has some spice in it that I really don't enjoy.

Interesting to know: India is the only place where McDonalds has changed their menu. When they first started setting up in India no one would purchase their food because it had beef and in Hindu culture cows are sacred. McDonalds now offers a lot of chicken sandwiches and even some pizza hot-pocket things.

I also had to use the bathroom when were were roaming the streets and after so many road trips with the family I knew that a McDonalds bathroom should be fairly safe - I was wrong. The only bathroom offered was for senior citizens, I snuck into it not knowing if this was a very strict rule, held my breath, made sure I didn't touch anything and got out my hand sanitizer right away. I think the thing I miss most about America is the bathrooms.

No comments:

Post a Comment