Thursday, October 15, 2009

Desi Delights :: Product and Packaging Assignment

Think of Betty Crocker... Make her Indian ... Now you've got Desi Delights
Think of Chocolate Chip cookie mix... Make it Savory Rice Pudding... Now you've got Payesh
Here is my first Product and Packaging assignment.




My absolute favorite Indian food Abhrajeet's family makes is Payesh, which is similar to rice pudding. I like mine with noodles instead of rice, and thicker rather than thinner.  This idea sprang to mind when Abhrajeet suggested I start learning how to cook Indian food from his Grandmother. Coming from a mid-western family where my mom thinks that Ketchup and Salt is the only spice needed, it's taken me a bit of time to get use to the Indian dishes made at Abhrajeet's house every night. When I first had Payesh I was so thrilled that it wasn't spicy I asked for seconds. 
This package ideally would be used for as a gift to give to culturally interested individuals so they can start learning how to cook Indian food and as an introduction to Indian spices. The paper I chose is Mulburry Bark and Banana Leaf paper to relate it culturally in both colors and in resources. The shape of each individualy wrapped package is taken from incents containers and allows everything to be stacked nicely in the box. 

Lots of different ideas with this project and I'm very happy with how it turned out. 


Can't wait for the second packaging assignment.

No comments:

Post a Comment