Monday, June 15, 2009

Dance Classes at Zenon

I can finally go up the stairs with out my whole body hurting!
Two weekends ago my friends and I drove to Minneapolis to take dance classes. Back in high school our lives consisted of danceline practice for a couple hours after school followed by competitive studio class for 3 hours after that.
Dancing was our lives, to say the very least. I could fouetté, pirouette, kick to my nose, bust out some hip-hop moves on a whim and tap my little heart out. And although practice had it's rough moments and too much drama, quitting dance might be one of the biggest regret I have.

So when Zenon offered a free day of classes for adults, we thought "hey, why not give it a try?"

While Lauren coaches a high school dance team up at college and does workshops in the summer, Marissa and I haven't danced for three years. The first class we went to was break dancing. We learned how to two step, spin on the floor and had a whole 20 second routine at the end of an hour! That's when our arms started hurting. The next class was a Broadway jazz class. I think this is when I pulled the muscles in my leg from leaping and kicking. Our third class was Afro Modern and by far my favorite class of the day. We mimicked what the instructor was doing for an entire hour - right on down to her breathing and "HUH!" I think this is when my neck started to hurt. Our last class of the day was hip-hop. Lauren, Mo and I had taken a hip-hop class a few years back with the instructor Stephanie and it was just as we remembered it. Stephanie demonstrates about 10 moves at a time and it's up to you to figure it out for yourself and how your body interprets the moves.

I'm not sure if there will ever again be a time when I am enrolled in dance classes, (Sadly I don't think they have any for my age) but we will definitely participate in the next free day at Zenon. The pain of walking up the stairs, taking 5 minutes to walk from one room to the other and grumbling of how sore we were was well worth it. It was so much fun and I'm truly thankful that I have these ladies in my life

Here's a photo for old time's sake. Back in our sophomore year of High School.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you had such a great time at the Zenon open house. Just FYI we regularly offer adult classes, and have students that range in age from 20-80's. We'd love to see you back here for more regular classes! Thanks for talking us up.
    Best,
    Katherine Dunbar
    Managing Director, Zenon Dance Company and School

    ReplyDelete